Activities are in full swing at the Washington County Council on Aging (WCCOA). The senior center is offering new programs, but its mission has remained unchanged since its inception in 1973: â€œTo make life better for seniors.â€
WCCOA hosts a number of services and programs for residents ages 60 and older, including home delivered meals, exercise classes, housekeeping and art classes. Services such as housekeeping are available at little to no cost to participants depending on income level, but on-site programs, such as exercise and art classes, are free.
WCCOA is not just there to help clients, but their caregivers as well. The help includes navigating the process for getting assistance and helping seniors stay in their own homes by connecting them to resources to make that process easier. WCCOA helps regardless of abilities, disabilities, income or age.
The main center in Chipley offers lunch every day at 11:30 along with various activities throughout the week. Chipleyâ€™s Day Center is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, where the communityâ€™s seniors are invited to visit with each other or just relax.
The county has several other sites available as well; however, the days of operation are limited to one day a week as follows:
- Ebro: located at Ebro Town Hall (projected to re-open in August) from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Mondays
- Wausau: located at Wausau Town Hall from 8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Tuesdays
- Greenhead: at New Vision Methodist Church located at 2661 Blocker Church Rd. from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesdays
- Sunny Hills: at Sunny Hills Community Center located at 4083 Challenger Rd. from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesdays
- Caryville: Âat Caryville Civic Center (projected to re-open in August) on Highway 279 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesdays
- Vernon: at Vernon City Hall from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesdays
Seniors can take advantage of day trips. Past outings include attending dolphin tours in Panama City Beach and a boat ride down the Wakulla River.
The highlight of the year for the center is the Festival on the Boulevard held each November at the Chipley site. The event features music, food, crafts and fun for people of all ages.
Volunteers are always needed at WCCOA. For those that have the want or need to help others, here is a great place to start.
For more information on services, programs, volunteering or becoming a vendor, call 850-638-6217 or visit the main center at 1348 South Boulevard in Chipley.