Advertorial by Florida Power & Light Company
Safety is always Florida Power & Light Companyâ€™s (FPL) primary focus, and customers are urged to make it their primary focus, too. Here are ten tips from FPL to help customers safely prepare for an approaching storm:
- Heed the warnings and evacuation orders by local, state and federal officials.
- If someone in your home is dependent on electric-powered, life-sustaining medical equipment, review your family emergency plan for backup power or make arrangements to relocate.
- Prior to storm landfall, or when you evacuate, turn off and unplug any non-essential electrical equipment, including pool equipment.
- Adjust refrigerators and freezers to their coldest settings ahead of time to keep food fresher longer in the event of a power outage. Consider making blocks of ice and storing them in coolers; sanitize the bathtub and fill it with water.
- Gather essential supplies. Keep a battery-operated radio on hand with a two-week supply of batteries, along with other essentials, including bottled water, non-perishable food, non-electric can opener, disposable dinnerware and utensils, matches or lighter, grilling supplies, medications, personal hygiene supplies, baby supplies, pet food and sunscreen.
- Charge your cell phone and obtain a car charger. Fill the car with gas.
- If you plan to use a ladder, note the location of the power lines before you begin. Be sure that ladders or scaffolds are far enough away so that you â€“ and the ends of the tools youâ€™re using â€“ stay at least 10 feet away from power lines. Before lowering a TV antenna or satellite dish, make sure to turn off and unplug the TV.
- Most counties suspend trash and debris pickup before a storm. Please do not trim trees once a storm is approaching, as high winds can turn cut branches into dangerous, flying debris.
- Record your FPL account number in a location that will be readily available. By knowing your account number, you will be able to quickly access your account online at FPL.com. You can also download the FPL app by texting â€œAppâ€ to MyFPL (69375). Also, have FPLâ€™s phone number (1-800-4OUTAGE or 1-800-468-8243) handy in the event you need to call to obtain information through our automated system.
- If you see a down power line, call 911 or FPL at 1-800-4OUTAGE (1-800-468-8243). Stay away from all power lines.
FPL.com/Storm is a great resource for other tips and questions you may have to ensure you and your family have a safe hurricane season.